Web Hosting Explained for Beginners
Are you thinking about starting a company or a blog and setting up a website? If the answer is yes, then you need to find a web hosting provider.
What does that mean? If you’re a beginner, then you may feel a little overwhelmed as you try to find a place to put your new website.
At Localnode, we understand. We pride ourselves on providing reliable web hosting at affordable prices. In addition, we know that not everybody goes into the search for a hosting provider armed with a ton of technical know-how.
So, with that in mind, here’s a beginner’s guide to web hosting. We hope that by the time you’re done reading, you’ll understand what web hosting is, how it works, and what to look for in a shared web hosting provider.
What is Web Hosting?
Let’s start at the beginning with a definition of web hosting. Web hosting is a service that provides individuals and business owners with a place to put their website online. If you’re confused by the idea of a “place” online, here’s an analogy that might help you understand it.
If you have a brick-and-mortar store (or you want to visit one), you might look up the address online. The address enables you to find the store, whether you look at a map or plug the address into your GPS.
On the web, the domain name – formatted as www.example.com or with another extension such as .net or .org – is your address. It helps people to find your website. Your site itself sits on a server, which is the equivalent of your physical store.
Web hosting providers such as Localnode own the server that hosts your website. A server is a piece of hardware that stores the data that makes up your website, including your written content and images.
Hosting is sold as a service via a subscription.
Do I Need a Domain Name to Have a Website?
Since your domain name is what tells people how to find your website, you do need to purchase a domain name before you create your website.
To secure a domain name, you’ll need to choose a name that describes your company or website. Here are some tips for choosing a domain name.
- If you own a company, try to get a domain name that matches or closely matches the name of your company. For example, ABC Manufacturing might have any one of the following domain names:
- If you’re starting a personal website or blog, choose a domain name that fits how you want to be seen online. If you use your name, be aware that you’ll need to spend some time creating a personal brand, so people will know who you are and how to find you.
- Go beyond .com domain names. At Localnode, we offer a variety of domain extensions, including some unique options such as .info and .me.
- Take care not to choose a domain name that might be easily confused with a popular website. There’s a risk that people could miss your site entirely.
- Likewise, try to stay away from odd spellings that might confuse people.
Your goal should be to choose a domain name that’s descriptive and memorable.
How Does Web Hosting Work?
As we said above, your website will be hosted on a server, which is a piece of hardware not unlike the hard drive of your computer. For example, at Localnode, we use servers with solid-state drives (SSDs), which are more dependable and durable than mechanical drives.
Web servers work as storage and delivery systems on the web. They store, process, and deliver web pages to users using ports. The ports collect requests for websites. The requests can happen when someone types the URL of your website into a browser or when they click a link that leads to your website.
The server’s job is to deliver the complete web page to the person that requested it. Our Localnode servers are loaded with premium software that ensures smooth delivery of your website and easy administration for any changes you want to make, including cPanel with Softaculous.
What Should You Look for in a Reliable Web Hosting Company?
Whether you’re launching a new website or simply looking for a new home for an existing site, it’s essential to partner with a reliable web hosting company. In fact, we would say that reliability and dependability are the most important features to look for in a hosting company.
Let’s talk about why reliability matters. When a customer or a potential customer searches for your site – or for products and services that you offer – you want them to find your website. There are a lot of factors that go into directing someone to your site, including your Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), Google rank, brand recognition, and more.
For the sake of this explanation, let’s assume that your website shows up on the first page of Google results. The person searching reads your meta description – that’s the brief description of your site that appears on Google – and decides to click the link to visit your site.
With a reliable web hosting company, they’ll be immediately redirected to your site, which will download quickly. They’ll be able to read your content, navigate your menus, and – with any luck – they’ll buy your product or sign up for your service.
What happens if you’ve chosen a small business hosting provider that doesn’t provide fast web hosting with superior hardware and superior software? The worst-case scenario is that a potential customer clicks on your site, waits for your site to load, and then – in frustration – hits the dreaded “back” button to find another site.
In other words, you’ll lose potential customers and readers for your content if you don’t pick a reliable web hosting provider.
At Localnode, we offer an array of features and benefits that makes us the affordable hosting provider of choice for individuals and business. Here are some of the things you can expect when you partner with us:
- Undersold servers. Some web hosting providers overcrowd their servers, which can lead to slow response times. We deliberately undersell our servers to ensure you have the fast response times and reliable service you deserve.
- Superior hardware and superior software on a superior network. We’ve invested in top-of-the-line hardware and software on a network you can depend on.
- 99.9% uptime guarantee. We offer our clients our guarantee that their websites will enjoy a minimum of 99.9% uptime. We don’t like surprises and we know our clients don’t either. We’ll always let you know about scheduled downtime in advance, so you can plan for it.
- Premium security features. We’ve invested in the best firewalls that money can buy because we take security seriously. Our servers are monitored around the clock, and access to our servers is limited to carefully screened and authorised personnel.
- User-friendly administration. We recognise that not all website owners are tech-savvy, which is why we’ve loaded our servers with cPanel with Softaculous, making it easy for you to update and change your website as needed.
- Results-oriented customer service. It’s one thing to say you deliver around-the-clock service, but at Localnode, we pride ourselves on providing friendly customer service that gets it right the first time.
Localnode offers affordable web hosting you can count on to provide the best possible experience for visitors to your website.
Are you ready to sign up with the last hosting provider you’ll ever need? Click here to get started!